Log in or Register
Whitby Town 2
Gratton (25' pen), Greaves (89')
0 Bamber Bridge
Club Badge

Match Report: Whitby Town 2-0 Bamber Bridge

Bamber Bridge's four-game unbeaten run came to an end with a 2-0 defeat at Whitby Town. 

Brig started the game slowly while the Seasiders were on to them from the whistle. 

The hosts had chances in the opening minutes of the game, with Junior Mondal playing a pivotal role, putting a dangerous ball into the box which Connor Simpson was able to get on the end of. Thankfully, James Pradic was there to make a save.

After the slow start, Brig played some nice football in the 12th minute. Danny Edwards linked up with both Danny Forbes and Ewan Bange, with a dummy by Forbes falling to Bange, who then played it back to Edwards. Still, there was no way through the Seasiders defence.

It did not take long for Whitby to get rewarded for their early pressure, with a free kick turned penalty after discussion from the assistant referee. Jacob Gratton converted the penalty in the 24th minute to give the Blues the lead.

Brig looked to have woken from their poor start, and after some good team build-up, Jack Baxter won a free kick just on the edge of the box. Despite a well-struck free-kick, it was easily saved by Shane Bland.

Just before half-time, Jamie Milligan's side won a corner, with a set piece worked on the training ground. The routine worked well, however, the final ball did not click for Brig throughout the game on set pieces, and Brig went into half-time 1-0 down.

With the rain falling slowly, Bamber Bridge began the second half as the better team. Edwards again had an ambitious effort outside the box in the 49th minute, but nothing came from the chance.

Chances were few for both sides in the second half, with Brig getting a free kick in the 64th minute. It was well hit, and unfortunately for Mark Cullen, the rebound was just out of his reach, which could have been an easy finish for the veteran striker.

The rain did not stop, and the pitch turned into a mud bath as we came to the game's closing stages, with two subs being made in the 81st minute. Danny Edwards and Harry Scarborough made way for Sam Billington and Mackenzie O'Neill.

Brig pushed players forward, trying to find that late equaliser, which left them vulnerable at the back. Jerome Greaves beat the offside trap and made it two for the hosts with a chip over Pradic, which the keeper could do nothing about.

Milligan's side will look to bounce back on Tuesday night as we host FC United of Manchester at 7:45pm.

Report by Ryan Jacobs (@Ryan____Jacobs)

Published Sunday 19th November 2023