Log in or Register

Morpeth Town vs Bamber Bridge Match Report

Jamie Milligan and John Hills

Bamber Bridge bounced back to winning ways with an emphatic 3-1 victory over Morpeth Town away at Craik Park.

The game however didn't start as Brig would have wanted when Vinnie Steels darted down the right hand side before firing home to give the hosts an extremely early advantage, in the opening minute.  

There was however a positive response to the opener from Milligan’s side. Having an abundance of opportunities to draw level in the first 20 minutes. With Harry Scarborough and Mark Cullen both seeing strikes saved by Dan Lowson.   

With less than 10 left to play in the first half Danny Edwards had the equaliser when he capitalised on a loose back pass. Before taking it round Lowson and slotting home from an acute angle inside the box.   

Mark Cullen got the second 45 underway, as Brig looked to carry the momentum from the 37 minute equaliser into the remainder of the encounter.  

Danny Edwards raced down the line before his low ball into the box found the feet of Cullen, who saw his strike blocked as it ricocheted to Callum Leigh as he fired an effort goalwards from distance, deflecting over the bar and earning a corner.   

Macauley Wilson made a vital intervention, recovering well to challenge Steels just inside the six-yard box as he set his sights on James Pradic's goal. Denying the Highwaymen the lead and Steels a second of the afternoon.  

 Just 10 minutes later Brig could have taken the lead themselves. Jack Baxter’s tempting wide free-kick went over the head of Cullen and fell to the feet of Adam Dodd at the back post. But he couldn't keep his effort down as he blazed just over the bar.  

With 20 minutes left on the clock Danny Edwards had a second and Brig had the lead. As he collected the ball inside the Morpeth box, before firing low and hard into the back of the net. A worthy reward for the sustained pressure maintained throughout the half.  

Morpeth tried to launch a fight back, rattling the bar from a corner kick with just under 10 minutes remaining.   

But despite a couple of opportunities for the hosts, the Brig defensive unit remained firm, clearing any opposing attacks that could have amounted to anything dangerous.   

On the 86 minute mark Baxter secured the vital three points as he fired in a third. Weaving into the box, cutting in onto his left foot, before shifting to his right and firmly firing high across goal nestling into the back of the net.  

Brig saw out the game in the dying embers nullifying any danger and maintaining possession in the final few moments, ensuring a much deserved win on the road.  

An opportunity to build on the result arises next weekend when Atherton Collieries travel to the SFC Stadium. 

By @MattGrimshaw_

Photo: George Davidson

Published Sunday 11th February 2024 (last updated Monday 12th February 2024)