Log in or Register
Hornchurch 3
Wraight (6' pen), Higgins (26'), Dickson (85')
0 Kingstonian

Hornchurch match report

match report by Philip Murphy

K’s fortunes may have turned around in recent weeks but Simon Lane’s side couldn’t end the 39-year wait for a win at Hornchurch. Mark Stimson’s title contenders ended Kingstonian’s four game unbeaten run with a comprehensive 3-0 defeat of the K’s.

The hosts were fast out of the blocks at The Hornchurch Stadium and within five minutes Tom Wraight was first to a loose ball in the K’s box and went down under the slightest of contact. The referee pointed to the spot to few complaints and Wraight dusted himself down to convert convincingly. 

Hornchurch continued to enjoy the better of the early stages. Isthmian Premier League leading goalscorer, Sam Higgins forced a smart save from Rob Tolfrey and Ade Yusuff flashed wide of goal from a promising position.

Just before the half-hour mark, the duo of Yusuff and Higgins combined to double the home side’s lead. Yusuff’s through ball split the K’s defence and Higgins buried his 27th league goal past Tolfrey from the edge of the box. For context, Higgins’ tally is just six goals fewer than K’s have amassed in the league campaign to date. 

Lane’s men were combative, if not particularly threatening against the promotion contenders and Imran Kayani provided some hope before the break with a decent effort on goal but Lamar Joseph-Johnson saved comfortably.

Half-Time: Hornchurch 2-0 Kingstonian

The hosts, keen to put the game out of sight, started the second half with renewed purpose but Yusuff blazed over from a good position inside the opening minutes.

On the hour mark, dangerman Higgins swung a left footed effort off the post and the same man hit the woodwork from a corner just minutes later.

K’s lived largely off scraps but Lee Lewis went close with a deflected effort and Urchins full-back Jamie Mascoll was forced to make a vital interception to deny Imran Kayani of a one-on-one with the keeper.

With just over five minutes remaining Hornchurch eventually put the contest to bed. A dangerous free-kick fizzed through the K’s box and with only the lightest touch required, Chris Dickson prodded home from close range.

In the dying minutes K’s almost added a consolation as both Bancroft and MacAllister went close, but a finishing touch evaded Lane’s men on the night.

In the end, the 3-0 final scoreline was probably a fair reflection of the contest and demonstrated the current gap between the two sides. Hornchurch will surely have hopes of leaving Mitcham with the Isthmian League title when they visit Imperial Fields on the last day of the season.

Hornchurch: Lamar Joseph-Johnson, Mickey Parcell, Remi Sutton, Nathan Bertram-Cooper, Rickie Hayles, Tom Wraight, Ellis Brown, Ollie Muldoon, Sam Higgins, Liam Nash, Ade Yusuff.

Subs: Charlie Stimson (for Sam Higgins, 83m), Jamal Allen, Jamie Mascoll (for Remi Sutton, 59m), Chris Dickson (for Liam Nash, 75m), Destiny Oladipo.

Kingstonian: Rob Tolfrey, Ibrahim Bangura, Michael Abnett, Danny Dudley, Matt Drage, Dwight Pascal, Imran Kayani, Keane Anderson, Lee Lewis, Sean Bonnett-Johnson, Darnell Goather-Braithwaite.

Subs: Benj Purcell, Jacob Bancroft (for Darnell Goather-Braithwaite, 82m), Iker Noguera Leon, Charlie Greenwood (for Sean Bonnett-Johnson, 68m), Alex MacAllister (for Dwight Pascal, HT).

Goal scorers: Tom Wraight (6m pen, 1-0), Sam Higgins (26m, 2-0), Chris Dickson (85m, 3-0)

Attendance: 240

Published Wednesday 8th March 2023