Log in or Register
Wingate & Finchley 2
Moncur (34'), Ogleby (79')
1 Kingstonian
Moss (7')

K’s Beaten By Wingate and Finchley As Something Else Happens Somewhere Else

As Sam Allardyce and the FA mutually parted ways, another of the great problems of English football was brought to light as Kingstonian lost 2-1 at Wingate and Finchley - the harsh injustice of a midweek away defeat. Tommy Williams' team were probably better throughout, and certainly created more chances, but two sloppy bits of defending handed the hosts a barely-deserved victory.

Much like Allardyce's reign as England manager, it had all started so well. Just seven minutes in Adam Lallana Ryan Moss latched on to Joe Turner’s through ball and finished brilliantly into the bottom corner to give Ks the lead. For the opening 30 minutes, Ks were in control. The new central midfield partnership of Michael Onovwigun and Sean Bonnett-Johnson continued to assert themselves on the game, while ‘Norm’ Lamont continued to cut inside and cause problems.

Out of nowhere, Wingate equalised. Some neat passing led to Fred ‘son of John’ Moncur picking the ball up 20 yards, and a complete lack of closing down from Ks led to him having the time and skill to pick his spot and fire low, past Rob Tolfrey, to equalise. Ks continued to press to re-take the lead, but while Moss and Lamont came close, the half petered out.

The second half started with Ks once again on top. Ryan Moss missed the game’s best chance, after once again being put through on goal by Joe Turner, his attempt to round Shane Gore was unsuccessful. At the other end, Aaron Goode got back well to clear off the line before Joe Turner got on the end of a Ryan Moss cross, but somehow managed to block his own goalbound header on the line. Inevitably, cruelly, Ks were made to pay for their missed chances. A throw in deep in the Wingate half was wasted, and Alan Inns found himself pressing far too high up the pitch. With Goode having taken the corner and no midfield cover, Rob Ogleby was given the freedom of Ks’ half to stride forward and strike past Tolfrey to edge Wingate in front.

Still Ks created chances; Moss’ well struck free kick was palmed over by Gore, and from the resulting corner, the keeper produced the outstanding moment of the night, diving low to his left to keep out Pico’s header that looked certain to level the scores. But, as so often with the cruel mistress of football, it was not to be.

The night The Telegraph got Allardyce sacked will go down in English football folklore, but for Kingstonian, it was a night to forget and move on from.

Match report by Jamie Cutteridge.

Published Wednesday 12th September 2018