Log in or Register
Kingstonian 2
Moss (89'), Pico Gomez (91')
1 Metropolitan Police
Collins (60')

Dramatic Ending As K’s Come Back To Win

Come on. Let’s not let the facts get in the way of a good story.

There Kingstonian were, all huff and puff and toil and trouble, a goal down and a few minutes more away from a demoralising second straight home defeat. It may have only been six games in, but somehow this showdown with fellow strugglers Met Police felt season-defining, like giving a last chance to the new local you want to love, but whose staff you’re yet to get on with, and whose beer tastes far from palatable. A real six-pinter, if you will.

So it was with a mixture of joy and relief that the home supporters celebrated Ryan Moss’s somewhat unexpected 89th-minute equaliser, a trademark power-header. Its creator was sub and debutant Youssef Bamba, who showed enough pace, determination and quality during his brief cameo to give those K’s fans watching him at close quarters hope where previously there had been little.

His cross for Moss, from a deep, wide-right position, was unerringly accurate, curled perfectly away from the keeper and between the centre-backs in front of him. Moss gleefully took the chance; if the service remains that good, he won’t stop scoring any time soon.

He’s a creator, too, Moss, and it was he who set up the winner 60 seconds into four minutes of added time, sparking ecstasy on and off the pitch.

Charging down the right with enough speed and strength to shrug off a tiring Police defender, he headed goalwards before picking out an unmarked Pico Gomez on the cusp of the six-yard box. His first-time finish was well-struck and placed between the keeper’s legs. Suddenly, gloriously, K’s were 2-1 up. Players and fans rejoiced down by the corner flag. Roars emanated from a bundle of red-and-white, hope restored.

Yes, Met Police had hit the inside of the post between our two goals, the ball bouncing back in to Rob Tolfrey’s grateful arms. Yes, the same winger Ryan Gondoh, at 1-0, had a cross deflected on to the other post by the retreating Aaron Goode and then could only hit the side-netting from the rebound, with Tolfrey looking the other way. Yes, Kingstonian’s attacking play was largely futile, lit up only very sporadically including when Pico struck the woodwork from distance just after the break. Yes, the penalty we conceded on the hour – thrashed in by Charlie Collins - was soft, captain Inns the culprit for an alleged push. And yes, the centre of midfield looked problematic once again.

But let’s not let the facts get in the way of a good story. K’s came back from the dead, and now the season really is alive and kicking.

Match report by Rupert Cane.

Published Wednesday 12th September 2018