Log in or Register
Kingstonian 2
Pico Gomez (10'), Lamont (61')
2 Merstham
Samuels (2'), Bennett (66')

Merstham win 5-4 on penalties

Merstham knock holders out of the Alan Turvey Trophy

In the end this week didn't produce a win for Ks but it did produce both promise and entertainment, as the 4-4 draw at Leiston was followed by an entertaining Alan Turvey Trophy contest (no laughing at the back).

Sadly there will no repeat of last year's glorious, if at times ridiculous, triumph last year as Ks went out to Merstham on penalties after a 2-2 draw. They did, however, once again show more attacking verve than they had in the first few weeks of the season.

They had to show something going forwards after going behind in just the second minute. Former K Alex Addai forced Rob Tolfrey to palm out a low show but Kershaney Samuels was on hand to score the rebound.

Still, if scoring four at the league leaders couldn't give Ks confidence to find a goal then nothing would have and one came just eight minutes later. Joe Turner used his strength to get to the byline and pulled back for Pico Gomez to finish with the outside of his boot.

Aaron Lamont came close for Ks from 20 yards but Merstham's Dan Bennett had been strangely quiet. This was not to last though and he twice caused problems near the end of the first half. First, he played Tashan Francis-Adeyinka in and forced Tolfrey to save before demonstrating great skill on the edge of the box and testing the goalkeeper himself.

Gomez might have grabbed a brace on the stroke of half-time but the goalkeeper made a fine close range save.

Xavier Vidal came close with a free kick after the break but it was Ks who grabbed the lead on 63 minutes. Substitute Ola Sogbanmu held the ball up well and played in Lamont, who strode confidently towards goal and finished emphatically from a tough angle.

Bennett had a clear sight of goal shortly afterwards but lobbed over the bar when he may have been better shooting low. He did not take long to make amends though, curling past Tolfrey from the edge of the box to level the scores again.

Merstham came close with a couple of headers but neither side came truly threatened near the end and after 90 minutes (but no extra time) penalties arrived.

Ks might have been confident primarily due to Tolfrey's spotkick record but for once he struggled, getting hands to Bennett and Tommy Kavanagh's efforts but keeping none of Merstham's five out. For Ks, Sogbanmu was the man who had his effort saved and hopes of repeat Turvey glory were extinguished.

Match report by Simon Grier.

Published Wednesday 12th September 2018