Log in or Register
Harrow Borough 2
French (25'), Bryan (90')
3 Kingstonian
Hopkinson (14'), Pico Gomez (44'), Sweeney (75')

K’s Win Hard Fought Cup Tie

It’s fair to say that for a long time, the Isthmian League Cup, this season known as the Alan Turvey Trophy sponsored by Robert Dyas, has only fired up the imaginations of supporters of clubs that actually win the tournament, and is plagued by low attendances. This game was no different, with 55 being the recorded figure for this match at Earlsmead.

Both sides made changes for the League Cup tie, with K’s giving Arron Hopkinson and Jeffrey Imudia first starts, with Jake Kempton leading the line with Pico Gomez.

It was the visitors who got off to the stronger start and thoroughly deserved to take the lead in the 12th minute when Hopkinson was played in, and on the corner of the penalty area slid a shot across the keeper and into the net.
The home side began to settle down after this setback, and it was no surprise when they scored the equaliser in the 24th minute, as a shot from Kamaron English rebounded off a defender, which allowed Connor French to bundle it home off the right side of his face.

Harrow pressed hard for the go-ahead goal, and Elvijs Putnins was forced into action on more than one occasion, and it was against the run of play when the K’s took the lead again in the 42nd minute. Malachi Hudson was the catalyst, beating his man on the left and crossing into the six yard box. The ball wasn’t cleared and Pico Gomez was the quickest to react and he lashed the ball home.

K’s again started a half strongly as they strove for the third goal that would probably clinch it, and Harrow tried to change things up with a triple substitution in the 62nd minute, replacing their whole front line. The Boro did come more into the game and pressed for an equaliser.

But with Harrow committing more men upfield, K’s broke away in the 74th minute when Pico Gomez beat what passed for an offside trap. He unselfishly squared the ball to Daniel Sweeney, who, after having to go around a retreating defender, coolly slotted the ball home to put the game beyond doubt.

There was time in injury time for Harrow to scramble a second goal through Michael Bryan, but it was merely a consolation. With the naturally cup-half-empty amongst us worrying about a grandstand finish, the final whistle blew just after the re-start, and the K’s will take their place in this week’s Second Round draw.

Published Wednesday 12th September 2018