Log in or Register
Kingstonian 1
Webb (39')
2 Bognor Regis Town
Tuck (50'), Pearce (81')

Kingstonian Rocked by Bognor Comeback

Kingstonian missed the chance to get back into the playoff places for the first time in months after suffering a 2-1 home defeat to Bognor Regis Town. Unfortunately though, that was far from the biggest story of the night as video footage of the game's aftermath quickly went viral on YouTube.

The night had begun well for Ks, and at the break they looked set to finally get back into the top five. Callum Webb struck in the 41st minute with a goal that might itself be worthy of going viral. He beat two men cutting in from the left flank and then with goalkeeper Chris Winterton expecting a cross he smashed it into the top corner from an acute angle. A possible goal of the season contender.

Bognor had had the better of the half but proved unable to break the deadlock. Doug Tuck was ever-dangerous, just failing to stretch enough to turn a cross in at the far post and then forcing a smart save from Rob Tolfrey.

Tolfrey also kept out an Ollie Pearce effort while for Ks Steve Laidler forced Winterton to save from distance while Josh Casey, playing in a headband to protect the nasty injury he sustained at Leiston, couldn't quite convert a cross from the dangerous Malachi Hudson.

Five minutes after the interval though the Rocks were level. Jake Thomson only found the wall with a free kick but on the rebound Tuck hit a fierce volley from twenty yards which caught Tolfrey wrong-footed.

Charlie Penny thought he had restored the lead with a fine header from a deflected Webb cross but it was ruled out for offside, while a Hudson shot after a fine run flew into the empty seating area that stands in place of the Kingston Road End.

Ks' best chance came on 78 minutes after neat work from substitute Alex Addai, but Winterton did well to keep out both Aaron Goode's shot and Jesse Darko's follow-up. Just three minutes later the Rocks exposed Ks to grab the crucial goal when Pearce converted a low cross from close range.

Ks threw everything at grabbing an equaliser but failed to create a clear scoring chance. An unconvincing punch from Winterton found Penny but he could only fire wide from the edge of a crowded box, and a foul in the build-up denied Steve Butterworth a late shot at glory.

Published Wednesday 12th September 2018