Log in or Register
Dulwich Hamlet 2
Ottaway (76'), Clunis (87')
1 Kingstonian
Inns (33')

K’s Defeated by Two Late Hamlet Goals

An error-ridden last 20 minutes cost Kingstonian as they threw away the lead in a 2-1 defeat to Dulwich Hamlet. The Ks put in a performance that was vastly improved from recent weeks, and led with just 14 minutes left after Alan Inns’ first half goal. However the Hamlet struck twice late on, inspired by substitute Harry Ottoway to grab the South London derby spoils in front of over 1,000 fans.

Tommy Williams shuffled his pack after last weekend’s drab defeat at home to Enfield, promoting Josh Casey into midfield and reverting back to a 4-4-2. A tightly contested first half produced few real chances as both teams settled for midfield skirmishes. Eventually Ks took the lead with the first chance of the game. Luke Pigden’s 33rd minute corner travelled all the way to the far post where Inns was left with the simplest of tap-ins to give his side the lead and kick the game into life.

Dulwich almost struck back immediately as Nyren Clunis’ curling effort stuck the bar and bounced away. As Ks began to assert themselves on the game, they should have doubled their lead, but Matt Drage’s goalbound header was cleared off the line by Kershaney Samuels on the stroke of half time.

The second half began is the first had ended, with Ks well one top. Pico Gomez’s run and shot was tipped wide by Phil Wilson before Kingstonian squandered two golden opportunities. Gomez did well to outmuscle two defenders to get on the end of Chris Henry’s cross, but having created the opportunity, Gomez could only head over. Minutes later Josh Casey took advantage of some sloppy Dulwich defending, but with all the time in the world, his ten-yard lob dropped wide of the post.

As Ks rued their profligacy, a Dulwich substitution changed the game. It was substitute Harry Ottaway who got on the end of Clunis’ pullback, and without a defender in sight he had time to take a touch, take aim and take advantage, firing low to Tolfrey’s right.

Still Kingstonian had chances; Matt Drage’s free kick was blocked and Wilson saved well from an Inns header. But Dulwich had the final word in the 87th minute. Ottaway’s ball forward was horrible misjudged by the Kingstonian defence, allowing Clunis to round Tolfrey and poke into the empty net to spark delirium amongst the home support and consign Kingstonian to an undeserved defeat.

Published Wednesday 12th September 2018