Log in or Register
Kingstonian 3
Wild (30' og), Moss (73'), Sweeney (94')
0 Enfield Town

Wild start sets the tone

A first home glimpse of a vastly reworked team left few Ks fans disappointed after a reasonably comfortable 3-0 win over Enfield Town.

As on the opening day at Canvey, the victory was underpinned by solid defence and excellent goalkeeping from Rob Tolfrey. This time however, Ks kept 11 men on the pitch and were able to show more attacking flourish and leave behind the nervousness that had characterised the closing period of their trip to Essex.

Things did not start so brightly for Alan Dowson's men, however. The visitors had the best of the early action, forcing Tolfrey into an early close-range save, before Andre McCollin went off following a clash with the goalkeeper.

A lot of Enfield pressure was not sufficient to trouble Ks' new centre-back partnership of Sam Page and Matt Drage, however, and mid-way through the half the home side started to look increasingly confident.

Aaron Goode managed a shot after Daniel East cleared a corner unconvincingly although Ryan Moss was unable to get out of the way in time. Daniel Sweeney then sliced a volley narrowly over before Ks were gifted the lead on 31 minutes. Matt Pattison swung a corner into the near post and Corey Whiteley could only deflect it past his own goalkeeper to put Dowson's men one to the good.

Ks might have doubled their advantage before the break when Pattison played one of a number of fine through balls but ex-Sutton man Tommy Kavanagh struggled with his footing and East came out to save.

Enfield enjoyed a threatening spell after the break but found Tolfrey in similar form to that which won him so many plaudits at Canvey. First, Adam Wallace broke down the right and fired a fierce shot at the near post which the goalkeeper was equal to.

Next Tolfrey blocked a header from giant centre-back Chris Wild before Ks scrambled clear and then he tipped a Liam Hope effort over the bar. His one slightly hairy moment saw him lose a cross under strong pressure but Michael Bardle failed to hit the target from the follow-up.

Tolfrey saved easily from Neil Johnston and having survived this tough period, Ks looked far stronger as the game progressed. Sweeney had a header saved but on 74 minutes they grabbed a second to make the points secure. Marcus Moody was the architect this time, threading Moss through on goal to grab his first goal for the club with a confident finish.

There were chances at both ends in the final minutes, the highlights seeing Tolfrey save well from Wallace and Moss fire over after skilfully controlling a ball from the returning Charles Ofusu-Hene.

Ks saved the best for last though and after Ofusu-Hene was hacked down in injury time, Sweeney replied with a low 25-yard free kick that fizzed into the bottom corner to make it three. For 24 hours at least, Ks are top of the league.

Report: Simon Grier

Published Wednesday 12th September 2018