Log in or Register
Kingstonian 3
Small (9', 38'), Lodge (76')
1 Lewes

Nothing to Lewes

If recent blips had aroused questions about Kingstonian's promotion potential a comfortable win against Lewes, sending Alan Dowson's side to the top of the league table, was the perfect antidote.

Wade Small, hot off a hat-trick in a midweek friendly, was once again the architect, giving Ks the advantage with two first half goals. The veteran of over 200 Football League appearances was once again clinical in front of goal and his continued fitness will be vital to Ks' hopes.

It took him only nine minutes to put Ks in the lead and he had Dean Lodge to thank for orchestrating a fantastic chance. Lodge attacked down the left before cutting inside and setting Small through on goal with a fantastic chip. Small timed his run to perfection before slotting the ball past goalkeeper Kieron Thorp.

Thorp managed to tip a Small effort over the crossbar shortly afterwards before Lewes pulled level with an outstanding goal. Anthony Thomas was the scorer, beating Rob Tolfrey from 30 yards with a vicious shot into the bottom corner.

Jack Walder tried to replicate his team-mate's heroics but saw an even fiercer effort rebound off the post from a similar distance with Tolfrey well beaten.

Thereafter Ks retook control of the game. Matt Pattison fed Sam Clayton who forced Thorp into a smart save and Matt Somner headed over the bar against his former club before Small struck again to put Ks back ahead.

Pattison was the architect this time, setting Small free again. This time he elected to take the ball round Thorp before sliding the ball into the open goal. It marked yet another assist this season for Pattison who once again looked continually dangerous, especially when drifting into the middle from his notional position of right wing.

Lewes' task became even harder just before the break when striker Ben Godfrey picked up a second yellow card for felling Aaron Goode with an elbow, a decision which enraged their management team.

The second half saw less action than the first. Lewes probed but lacked penetration in the final third as the Ks defence held firm, while the home side were mostly happy to keep their ten opponents at bay and showed little adventure.

Pattison fired over and it was not until the 77th minute that Ks made the game safe. Tolfrey delivered a goal kick to Clayton on the right and he picked out Lodge at the far post with a fine cross. Lodge's first touch was heavier than he probably intended, but it opened the goal up even more for him and he beat Thorp with ease.

Small fed substitute Andre McCollin but he pulled his effort wide before Lewes rallied in the dying minutes. Max Howell fired well wide and Tolfrey parried out a Chris Breach drive, however, as Ks held on for an important victory.

Report: Simon Grier

Published Wednesday 12th September 2018