Log in or Register
Kingstonian 2
Murphy (19'), Pattison (41')
1 Hendon
Owusu-Bekoe (90')

Dons sent home empty-handed

It was a case of quality over quantity for Kingstonian as two superb finishes were enough to see off Hendon.

Alan Dowson made one change from the side who defeated Bognor Regis, as Wade Small replaced Craig Mullen but it was his strike partner Andre McCollin who came close to opening the scoring. Captain Aaron Goode hooked the ball into the box and McCollin’s header was brilliantly tipped round the post by Berkley Laurencin.

The game was hotly contested in midfield, with few chances for either team but in the 19th minute, Goode knocked Matt Pattison’ corner back into the area where it was dispatched in the most unlikely of circumstances; Kieran Murphy came forward for the corner and connected with an overhead kick from 10 yards out, giving Laurencin no chance.

Chances continued to be scarce. Wade Small was denied by Laurencin, but the game’s defining moment came when Small was fouled around the corner of the penalty area. Matt Pattison stepped up to smash home the free kick into the far corner, leaving the keeper grasping at thin air. It was the kind of goal that left fans muttering ‘what a hit’ under their breath for minutes after. An absolute thumper.

Just before half time Lewis Taylor’s header was saved and soon after the interval Callum McNaughton could only head over from a free kick. Hendon’s first clear chance fell to football league journeyman Isaiah Rankin, but his shot was brilliantly palmed away by Rob Tolfrey. Pattison sought to repeat the trick but his 30-yard free kick rebounded back off the post onto Laurencin’s shoulder and looped over the crossbar, it was to be the last bit of action around the Hendon goal.

The final word fell to the visitors’ substitute Justin Owusu who tapped in at the back post to set up a nervy injury time period, but Ks saw it out to collect their second win in three days.

Report: Jamie Cutteridge

Published Wednesday 12th September 2018