Log in or Register
Kingstonian 4
2 Harrow Borough

No Small surprise

Here's a fact culled from Wikipedia: "During the 2010 January transfer window, Wade Small was sensationally linked with a move to Bristol City after being spotted in a helicopter above Ashton Gate."

Two and a half years later he has arrived at Kingsmeadow - by car, we must assume - and, though he didn't score on Monday night, he won a crucial penalty that led to the Kingstonian equaliser, played half a dozen clever passes in behind the Harrow defence and generally looked like a player worth some VIP treatment (perhaps we can stretch to a taxi... as far as Norbiton station).

Small was one part of a superb trio of attacking performances, alongside Andre McCollin and, of course, Dean Lodge, the latter in such spectacular form that he even got a cheer for missing an open goal after attempting a wholly unnecessary backheel from two yards out.

This report could not even begin to list the chances created, and spurned, by all three forwards, so let's stick with the goals. After Harrow had undeservedly opened the scoring in the 16th minute - a free near-post header for Simeon Akinola - Ks resumed their almost constant attacking threat and it was Wade Small who won a penalty just three minutes later, after proving too strong for the panicking Harrow full-back. Lodge stepped up and dispatched the spot-kick for his 50th goal for the club.

Though the away side survived until half-time - one left-footed strike from McCollin hit the post and numerous others went begging - another Ks goal looked inevitable. It eventually came from McCollin, whose pace had terrified Harrow all night. This one didn't need a run, however, as he placed a perfect header into the net from a Sam Clayton cross five minutes after the break.

At 2-1, Ks started to play the sort of free-wheeling, attacking football viewers hadn't seen for while. With Sankoh and Somner protecting the back four, the forward line had licence to charge forward. The third goal came in the 57th minute. Aaron Goode collected the ball from an overhit corner, cut inside and curled a perfect shot round the keeper. The only surprise was that it took 20 minutes for the fourth to arrive, Lodge confidently striking another penalty.

Truth be told, there had been moments of concern in the Ks backline, particularly down the left where Dominic Sterling was caught out once or twice, but the Harrow fightback came too late, Garry Jones's cross evading Tolfrey before ending up in the net close to injury-time.

Reasons to be cheerful include the style, performance and strength in depth. And, for a night at least, top spot of the Ryman Premier.

Published Wednesday 12th September 2018